Anal Fissure Ointment
Anal fissures are small tears or cuts in the skin lining the anus, which can cause pain and/or bleeding. Patients with anal fissures typically experience extreme pain when having a bowel movement and red blood streaking in the stool.
Some of the more common causes of anal fissures include:
• Hard, dry bowel movements causing a tear in the anal lining, resulting in a fissure.
• Chronic diarrhea and inflammation of the anorectal area.
An anal fissure that develops all of a sudden is usually due to a recent change in bowel habits. Persistent or recurring fissures can be caused by continually poor bowel habits, overly tight or spastic anal sphincter muscles, scarring in the anal lining, or an underlying medical problem such as inflammatory bowel disease or an infection.
90% of all acute anal fissures can be managed non-surgically by increasing dietary fiber, using stool softeners, drinking plenty of fluids, and by taking warm baths to sooth and relax the anal muscles. Special medicated anal ointments are frequently prescribed to encourage faster healing.
Apothecary Options prepares a special anal fissure cream that has been used successfully by dozens of patients. It combines nine different ingredients all into one, cost-effective product.
- Nifedipine is a calcium channel blocker that helps reduce anal sphincter spasms and also works to increase blood flow to the affected area thus encouraging healing.
- Lidocaine & Tetracaine are local anesthetics and are used to numb the painful areas.
- Hydrocortisone is a steroid, which is used to reduce inflammation that may be causing pain.
- Nitroglycerin is a vasodilating agent that relaxes blood vessels and impoves blood flow to the affected areas. Higher concentrations of nitroglycerin can cause a pounding headache. In our experience, the 0.2% concentration is well tolerated by most patients.
- Vitamins D & E are fat-soluble vitamins. They have anti-oxidant and wound healing properties and are a common ingredient in many topical healing preparations.
- Aloe Vera is a commonly used skin remedy. It helps relieve burning, itching, and promotes healing.
CLICK HEREto download a pre-printed prescription form to take to your provider.